Anodising is one of Dorsetware’s specialist metal finishing services. The process is primarily used to offer an arsenal of enhancements to aluminium, such as protection from corrosion and electrical insulation. There are many colour choices available such as red, blue, green and gold. Popular choices are clear and black sulphuric acid anodising services in Poole, Dorset and beyond.
H2: What is anodising?
The primary objective of this metal finishing service is to convert a metal surface into a more decorative, durable and corrosion-resistant finish.
H2: How does anodising work?
- Anodising is an electro-chemical process.
- The aluminium (or metal used) is submerged into a solution bath with a cathode (a negatively charged electrode).
- A current is then passed through the selected acid solution, and hydrogen is released from the cathode.
- This causes oxygen to form on the anode (the piece of metal being treated).
- This results in a metal oxide film growing on the surface of the anode.
The anodising process is not to be confused with electroplating – the two processes are slightly different. For example, a gold electroplating service applies a thin coating of gold onto the part being treated. Anodising however, doesn’t change the compound of the metal, as the process simply oxidises a new layer on top of the treated metal.
H2: Advantages of anodising
- Protection from corrosion
- Electrical insulation
- Addition of colour
- Improves aesthetic qualities
- Defence against wear
- Protection against galling (wear from threaded parts)
- Provides better surface for adhesion of paints and adhesives
- It’s a finer coating than paints and powders
- Environmentally friendly finish – metal can still be recycled
- Inexpensive compared to painting and powder coating
H2: Popular uses for anodising
- Food preparation equipment
- Vehicle components
- Metal furniture
- Sports equipment
- Components within household appliances such as refrigerators and microwaves
- Exterior panels for aerospace vehicles
Dorsetware provide a variety of anodising services and metal finishing services. To enquire about anodising services in Poole, speak to one of the team at Dorsetware on 01202 677939 or alternatively use our contact form.